DataFountains is a a tool for discovering and describing Internet resources through the use of three distinct Crawlers: Expert Guided Crawler, Targeted Link Crawler, and the Nalanda iVia Focused Crawler.
Written in C++, Data Fountains is a powerful supplement to Digital Libraries, Internet Portals, and Library Catalogs with Portal-like capabilities. Data Fountains supports metadata export in CSV (SDF), OAI-PMH v2, MARC record, and template based XHTML.
- Untar source for libiViaCore into USERs home directory
- (as root) Typed “cd /home/USER/libiViaCore-5.4.0/install-scripts”
- (as root) Typed “./root-install”
- Failed with the following error “mysqladmin: connect to server at ‘localhost’ failed
error: ‘Access denied for user ‘root’@’localhost’ (using password: NO)'”
- Changed the secure root password on the MySQL install to blank using the following command sudo mysqladmin -u root -p password ”
- Failed again with the following error “Cannot find /usr/share/automake/config.guess”
- sudo apt-get install automake (then simlinked the installed automake-1.10 to just automake using ln -s automake-1.10 automake
- Failed again with the following error “E: Package libmysqlclient12-dev has no installation candidate”
- synaptic packaged and found libmysqlclient15-dev, still failed on install.
- updated apt-get to try to get the 12 version, couldn’t get it, so downloaded from: http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/i386/libmysqlclient12-dev/download AND
- installed both packages
sudo dpkg -i libmysqlclient12_4.0.24-10ubuntu2_i386.deb sudo dpkg -i libmysqlclient12-dev_4.0.24-10ubuntu2_i386.deb
- ./root.install AGAIN and it worked…almost
- perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale (“C”).
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = “en_AU.UTF-8”
are supported and installed on your system.
- Typed this to fix the locale error
- Ran the ./root_install again and got another error “checking for gawk… no”
- sudo apt-get install gawk
- create a bash script in /bin named arch and make it executable:#!/bin/bashuname -m
- run ./root-install AGAIN
- /usr/bin/install: cannot remove /home/user/.iViaCore/CachedPageFetcher.conf-template’ : Permission denied. (These files would have been created by the install process, we are sending an email to the developers to see if we can get a bit further)